November is Native American Heritage Month. We have some events and workshops planned that we invite you, your friends and family to participate in!
Interrupting the Cycle of Prejudice and Racism
Plan on attending this workshop which targets community members, native youth and people.
- When & Where
- Universalist Unitarian Church, 780 Del Monte Lane, Reno, NV
- Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2017; 6-8PM
Download the agenda here
- Dr. Debra Harry – Founder of Indigenous People’s Council of Bio-colonialism
- Defining prejudice and racism
- How racism is perpetuated
- The issue of racism in law and its ongoing impact on indigenous people
- Native Testimonials
We merely cannot change as a community, but must try to guide ourselves consciously about our behavior, attitudes and decisions to break free from racism and prejudice. Be part of a new beginning. Listen to three native testimonials.
- Helen Fillmore (Washoe)
- Brian Wadsworth (Paiute)
- Beverly Harry (Navajo)
“Water is Life” – Mni Wiconi – Native Youth Screen Printing Workshop
Water provides us survival, medicine and way to heal. Our traditional teachings begin with protection of the gift that provides us life. We encourage Nevada native youth to learn an expression of screen printing art.
- When, Where & Signing-up
- Hungry Valley Education Dept., 9055 Eagle Canyon Rd., Sparks, NV
- Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017; 10AM – 2PM
- Please contact Sam Rambeau to sign-up. Call RSIC at 775-329-6114 ext. 5101
- Limited to 25-30 youth (ages 12-20)
- Learn about Standing Rock from the Water Protectors and the Artists!
- Herman Fillmore (Washoe)
- Sara Paschall (PLPT)
- Ray Valdez (Nahua-Yaqui)